...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Domestic Boys

While my two oldest kids are in school, me and my three younger boys get to do a lot of things together. We do activities that focus on them (they love to finger paint or do crafts or build with shape blocks) but I also try to include them in whatever I am doing (ok, sometimes I am terrible and send them to watch tv to get them out of my hair, but once in a while I try to include them). Case in point...today I needed to make some receiving blankets so I hauled out the fabric and scissors and sewing machine. The boys were automatically interested...a big box and lots of tools that they don't see every day, what could be more exciting. They watched intently as I laid out and cut the fabric but then, they could be bystanders no longer. They wanted to help. They hopped up on my lap and we sewed together. We talked about how sewing works and what we needed to do to do a good job, and they were thrilled. We all had fun and got my job done and there was no whining about "Mom, can you play with me now." It was a great morning. (Logan was more than happy to gather up all the spare fabric pieces and throw them in the garbage...he loves to put things in things...then he would take them all back out and put them in again). It is fun to spend time with my boys and help them explore a little bit more of their feminine side (is there such a thing) and maybe learn a little something and have fun with Mom in the process. (p.s. please ignore the pajamas and lack of styled hair...guess I didn't have to go out that day).

1 comment:

Josh and Heather said...

What a fun activity! And what a fun memory to have made with your kiddies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...