...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Am Slowly Going Crazy...Or Am I???

Yesterday, I was making lunch for the kids when I lost my mind...sort of. We were having chicken nuggets, a rare treat at our house, so I was trying to put together actual nutritious elements to go with it. Let's see, applesauce, cheese, a cup of milk, and, oh, great, a slice of buttered bread. Got the bread out and debated whether to give everyone a whole slice, or cut them in half (you just never know if the kids are going to be starving and wolf down everything in front of them or if they will pick at it like birds and leave half the food on their plate). I thought I decided on whole slices and set them on the counter top, then suddenly someone started screaming, so I went to solve the problem. I returned to find I had only gotten three pieces of bread out instead of five. I shook my head at myself, and thought, "I must be going nuts, I would swear I got out five bread slices." I think to myself that someday I am going to forget something really important and be in real trouble. I wonder if I am too young for Alzheimer's or something like it, and wonder if brain loss has to be diagnosed by a physician or if this is the kind of thing you just keep to yourself. Oh well.

Then, two minutes later, Gavin appears in the kitchen doorway looking a bit guilty.
Gavin (looking guilty): "Hi, Mom."
Me (looking suspicious): "Hi, Gavin."
Gavin (still standing there looking suspicious): "Hi."
Me (Now I know for sure something is up): "Is there something you want to tell me?"
Gavin (biting his lip and swaying side to side): "Uuuummmmm."
Me (putting that "Mom" look on my face): "Gavin, what is going on?"
Gavin (suddenly smiling and trying to be nonchalant): "Logan and I are just eating bread in the bathtub!!"
Me (Wow, I'm not crazy after all): "Oh."

Sure enough, I find Logan lounging in the tub, covered in bread crumbs. I brush off the children, clean up the crumbs and smile to myself. Lunch may be spoiled for these two, but I'm not nuts and that's what really counts. YIPPEE!!!

2 comments:

RJ said...

Do I get a vote? Susan typically doesn't let me have a vote in matters like this, but I tend to vote anyway.

RJ said...

I guess it's not clear that last comment was posted by Reid. I thought about keeping you guessing, but with a comment like that, you might kick me out if you didn't know who it was. Now that I think about it, you might kick me out now that you know who it is. You win some you lose some I guess.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...