Thanksgiving weekend was exciting in lots of ways. We headed down to my grandparent's house, which we all love!! There is always a lot to do. The kids get to spend time at the farm and help with the morning chores (when else do they really get an opportunity to slop hogs and find eggs). Bryce and Parker got to play paintball and Josh and Bryce shot shotguns in the desert (I was petrified Bryce would manage to get shot, but he came back in one piece...Josh says I worry too much...I'm a mom, that's what I do). Josh also got to shoot a couple of handguns and some sort of fancy machine gun like thing (I am not a gun connoisseur). He was in heaven.
We spent lots of time with family remembering the past and celebrating time together and it was fabulous.
Then we came home. We sat down to watch the BYU/Utah game (GO COUGARS!!!). Just starting into the second quarter (could the BYU offense look more limp?) Logan came scooting down the stairs with a bouncy ball in his hand. He popped it in his mouth so I called him over to me to get it out and throw the thing away...but no...he swallowed it! He started choking and sputtering and my first aid training kicked in, I scooped him up and turned him over, but the ball went all the way down. It was not a tiny ball, and we were concerned. Now it was Josh's turn to panic. He has some minimal medical training (just enough to make him nervous about just about every thing that could possibly go wrong), so he called our doctor's answering service. The on call doctor told him this could be a big deal and said to hurry up to Primary Children's ER to have it checked out (alright, maybe I was under reacting this time...I thought let it pass through the kid).
We loaded into the car, dropped the five other kidlets at my Mom's house, and trucked up to the U of U campus (during the BYU/Utah game which we were not longer paying attention to, such irony). We were immediately taken to a room where the nurses were much more interested in the black eye that Logan had from falling down the stairs and smashing into a wall than the ball somewhere in his system (we would end up in the ER the one time he has a black eye). Eventually the doctor came in, made sure Logan could drink without throwing up, and said, "Go home and let it pass through the kid." The nurse that checked us out was adorable, but made sure to tell me to keep Logan away from batteries and scared me with stories of kids who have holes burned in their esophaguses (thanks Dad for the editing) from swallowing batteries.
We got home just in time to see BYU score the game winning touchdown in overtime. Hooray!
So you see, Thanksgiving weekend, was a **BALL**...in more ways than one. (Beware of small rubber bouncing items).
The next day, we put up the Christmas tree and decorated the house, and now we feel all festive.
Happy Holidays Everyone!!!