...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hello, my name is Melissa and I'm a paranoid mom...

I fully admit that I am a paranoid mom. I don't let my kids go out in the front yard unless I am with them, I worry about them walking to school (even though there are three of them that walk together), I don't let them play at friends houses unless I can go meet the parents first....I am overprotective to say the least.
Thankfully, my children are very patient with me (of course, they don't really know any different), but sometimes they let me know it is time to expand the boundaries.


Recently, Bryce and Aubrey told me it was a little bit boring to only be able to ride their bikes where I can see them from the front steps. I can see their point, I guess. Aubrey is eight and Bryce is nearly ten. They should be allowed a little bit more growing room. So I really stretched (don't laugh) and have started letting them ride to the corner and back. I resist the urge to stand on the sidewalk so that I can see them the entire time, and trust that they will be able to handle it (ok, maybe that is a little bit pathetic).



This weekend we decided to go to the park, and the kids asked if they could ride their bikes to get there. I took a deep breath, shoved down the paranoia, smiled and said "sure." After a helmet check they were off. Sadly, I was not brave enough to really let them go on their own, I followed behind with the stroller and got to the park a couple of minutes after the three oldest had triumphantly arrived, but for me this is progress. The kids felt nine feet tall, it was great to see how independent and excited they felt.



They are good kids. They are responsible and they make good choices, I am not sure why it is so hard for me to let go a bit. I guess we all still have some growing up to do.







3 comments:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

My Mom was the same way and I'm sure I will be too! We were not allowed to ride our bikes past the corner, if we walked to a friends house we had to call when we got there, and my mom watched us as we played in the front too. I don't think there is anything wrong with that! Things are too scary anymore so taking extra precautions is not a bad thing!! You are an awesome Mom :)

Megan said...

I totally understand! I remember walking to and from your house all the time when I was a kid and riding my bike everywhere and it's going to take a long time before I'm comfortable letting my kids have that much freedom!

mormongrandpablogger said...

It's not paranoia, it's protection in a world full of dangers. The lurkers who make things difficult will pay the price someday but we cannot let our guard down while they are there. Keep this little bit of worry and you will upset most of the plans of the wicked. But also do as you are: let them go once in a while to help them prepare themselves for the future. You are a good mom and will do the best you can. That's all God asks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...