...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Cacophonous Conference

Last weekend was general conference.

This is always a mixed bag at our house.

I love listening to the words of living prophets, and I love the spirit that fills our home and we tune our TV and every available radio to the broadcast so that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you hear servants of God speaking to you.

However, my children are small.  Sometimes the talks are interrupted by wrestling matches or basketball games or thumb wars.  Sometimes it is hard to hear because we are all laughing.

I used to fight this.

I used to try to insist on quiet (ha ha ha, joke's on me).

And then I learned that if I want conference to be a positive experience for my little brood, I can't act like the Wicked Witch of the West insisting on silence and stillness...bringing sadness. 

So, our kids climb all over us, they flip through the conference packets that I dutifully print every time.  They munch on snacks as we play conference bingo, but they are happily exposed to inspired messages.  Sometimes they pause when a story sticks out to them, sometimes they laugh at a funny comment, and sometimes they roll on the floor seemingly in another world, but really just enjoying the spirit of the moment. 

I smiled when Gavin turned to me while President Monson was speaking and proclaimed, "He's talking to me."

I couldn't help but laugh as Logan shouted "Put your shoulder to the wheel" at the top of his voice throughout the song, even if everyone else was singing other words. 

It may not be that idealistic picture I used to have in my head, but this is how we help our sweethearts learn to enjoy general conference and look forward to spending this time together.

I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Take a peek at this article, it is just how I feel. 

When all is said and done, it was a GREAT weekend. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...