...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pass me some cheese to go with my whine...

Yesterday was not the best day of my life.  Of course, how many days really are the best day of your life...I guess really just one so it is not too surprising when you run across another one that isn't the best. 

We have had sick kids for a couple of days.  But it isn't the days that are so bad, it is the nights. 

Two nights in a row my slumber was interrupted by small people who were hacking and crying and who just needed their mommies.  Poor things.  My bed has been surrounded by make-shift sleep spaces to accommodate little ones.  The three youngest boys tag teamed all night sleeping and waking.  Unfortunately, Josh was feeling sick as well so he was stationed on the downstairs couch so as to be near the available bathroom (the upstairs bathroom was dedicated to PJ who had a really nasty congested cough and needed the hot shower to steam up the air and loosen the gunk). 

So after two relatively sleepless nights, I trumped to the doctor with the kids yesterday morning.  Logan seemed to be getting better so we just had appointments for G and PJ.  When we got to the office, Ellie started coughing and had a rattling in her chest.  Ugh!

Once in our fabulous doctor's office (he really is incredible, we LOVE him...that's why we drive clear across the valley to 2300 East to see him), he checked out the two boys.  He diagnosed G with the flu, and said it was at it's peak so he should be getting better in the next day or two...hooray!.  PJ has a severe case of croup so he gave me some samples (so we wouldn't have to pay for the Rx) of stuff to help him, as well as a little extra in case anyone else picked it up.

Then he checked out Logan, also the flu, and listened to Ellie's chest (all for no additional copay...thanks Dr. VanDenBerghe).  He opted to give her a nebulizer treatment (she had RSV last year and is prone to respiratory problems).  She didn't love the nebulizer.  She screamed the entire ten minutes she had it on.  However, when you are screaming you have to breathe deeply so it was all good.

We all came home and took a nap.  We ALL needed it.

That afternoon, I decided I was bored so I picked up Josh's nausea.  I worshiped at the porcelain alter a couple of times, just for fun.  Thankfully, six pregnancies with a couple of months worth of morning sickness each time have made nausea much less incapacitating than it used to be.  I guess that is one good thing.  Josh and I trudged through the extremely necessary grocery shopping that evening and even made it home alive!  Nice. 

It would have been a total flop of a day if it weren't for the incredible people in my life.  I had several people drop by or call or email to wish me a great day and I could not have been more grateful.  It is so true that God has a way of helping us through our struggles, and it is almost always through the amazing people around us that He does it.  Thanks so much everybody, I am really really grateful!

Thankfully, the fam is on the mend -- not fine, but better.  Maybe Christmas will turn out to be fabulous, and illness free, after all.  Have a great week everyone.

P.S. Last night no one got up...it was HEAVEN!!

1 comment:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Oh sad! I'm sorry your family has been so sick :( I hope you all get feeling better for Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...