...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Madame Librarian


Ellie reading a library book.

Yesterday, Josh had to stop at the library to pick up a couple of books he had requested.  After his quick trip, he came home shaking his head.  I asked what was wrong, and he just said, "You are so right." 

For many years I have felt that librarians at the local library don't actually want anyone to touch the books.  I have had trouble after trouble with librarians who are rude and annoyed when I ask for help.  They are impatient with my children who sometimes have questions.  A few years ago I took my mutual girls (age 12-18) to the library for an activity to expose them to the wonders of books and the two library ladies we tried to deal with were unworkable and even refused to tell the girls their names (part of a worksheet I had the girls fill out).   I swear, these women think their job is to keep the books from falling into unworthy hand, meaning ANYONE BUT THEIRS!

Anyway, librarians have never been my favorite (except I have a good friend whose mom worked at our local library and she was FABULOUS!  so I know there are exceptions).

Well, when Josh stopped at the library he had a couple of books to return.  As he walked up to the return counter the library lady was awkwardly stooped down trying to collect the books from the book drop.  Josh smiled at her and politely asked if she would prefer him to just hand her his books so that she didn't have to stoop down to get them.

She glared at him and said, "THIS, is the book drop."  Then she went back to scooping. 

So, Josh headed to the reserved area to get his books.  Well, right in front of the "D" (for DeMoux, yea!) shelf a librarian had a wheeled rack of books she is putting away.  Josh smiled at her.  She didn't smile back. Josh waited quietly next to her, expecting that after a moment she would let him get to his books.  No.  Not so much.  She just kept shelving, occasionally glancing venomously at my husband. 

After a couple of minutes he asked if he could just reach past her really quickly to grab his books.  He said she dropped her eyes and shoulders with a heavy sigh, shook her head and grumpily slid over.  He snatched his books in eight seconds flat and hustled out of the library (he did check out his books first because stealing from a library is a federal offense).

Anyway, the point is now he knows first hand why I do not care for library ladies.  He knows why I rarely ask for help and will search for something for long periods of time before I venture to their desk of angrily hoarded information. 

But I still love the library because I am addicted to reading and who could afford to buy every single book they wanted to read (and I don't want to own every book that I've read either).  So, thanks to the librarians of the world for making books accessible to me, even if they have a harpy like attitude while they do it.

1 comment:

Tristy said...

I totally agree! I swear they glare at me every week when I go. I even got into a small argument with them once while disputing a fine and they pretty much told me that they never make mistakes. So I got a good laugh while reading your post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...