...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, June 17, 2011

Notebook Messages

 I have been meaning to do this little project for months because I LOOOOVE this idea.  I heard it from a cute dad in an online interview although I can't remember who he was or where I heard it (sorry cute dad, I can't credit you for your inspiration).

I started with simple composition books that you can get for $1 or less at just about any store.  I picked these because although they are much cheaper than $5 or $6 journals, their covers are more sturdy than regular school notebooks.
 Next, I redid the covers with cuter designs and added each of the kid's names to personalize the notebooks.  I coated the covers with mod podge to give them some extra strength so they will stand up to the abuse I imagine they will have to handle.  Mod podge also helps them be a bit more water proof just in case something spills on the cover (geez, I love that stuff).

I only made notebooks for the kids that can read and write for now because this project requires a bit of literacy. 

I have been a little bit concerned the last while that my older kids may not be getting as much mom attention as I would like to give them.  They spend most of their day at school and by the time they get home there is a rush of homework and friends and dinner and showers and bedtime.  I don't ever want them to feel like I am not interested in their lives and that is where these notebooks come in.

This is like a written intercom between each of the kids and me (or Josh).  I will write a note in the book, not every day, but when I have something special to tell them or I saw them do something neat or whatever.  Then I'll stick the notebook under their pillow (hence it needs to be pretty tough).  They will find it and have a note from mom reminding them that they are important and loved.  Then, when they feel inclined, they can write a note back to me about whatever they are thinking and feeling and slip it under my pillow and we start the whole process over.  Josh and I told them about this last night after bedtime and they were all pretty excited about it.

Like I said, I LOVE this idea.  I really hope it will give the kids a chance to feel how special they are, even if life is not full of daily fuzzy moments on my lap (because they think they are too old for that sort of thing most of the time). 

I had intended to put the first note in each book while the kids were in school today (now that the notebooks are dry), but I couldn't find Bryce's book...until I looked under my pillow.  He beat me to the punch.
His note is about the book he is reading -- part of the Fablehaven series -- but that is exactly the point.  I want him to be able to tell me whatever is on his mind so I can keep up with what matters most to him.

I think this is going to be fun!

4 comments:

Paula said...

I love this idea! My mom started doing this with me when I was like 14. I was a really quiet teenager and my mom was looking for a way to get me to talk to her. I love looking back and reading some of the ridiculous things that I wrote. I only wish we would have done it longer/earlier.

Brian Whitmer said...

Sad that Bryce's signature already looks better than mine...

Minhvan Brimhall said...

Love the idea Melissa and what you are doing with these books. I remember doing something similar in high school in AP English. We wrote our thoughts about the book we were reading at the time and Ms. Woody (I think that was her name) would respond back to us in the notebook. Great way to share your thoughts one on one with your kids!:-)

KDM said...

Melissa,
Thank you so much for your great example. Kurtis and I have learned so much from you and Josh and your children. Since the last time we visited you, we have implemented your prayer time routine of going around the family and finding out what each family member is grateful for and including that in the prayer. This notebook idea is wonderful and I think we will implement it when we have children of our own.

We love you all,

Danny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...