...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

When husbands get in trouble (at least mine)

Even the very best husbands get in trouble once in a while.

Take mine for example.  He is amazing.  He is kind and gentle, he is a great dad and a hard worker.  I adore the guy.  I am not interested in life without him.

These are the kind of pictures that husbands who make their blogging wives
upset get to see on the web. 
Yet, yesterday he ended up in hot water.

You see, we have spent a good portion of the last three days at the house of Josh's brother, Chris.  Chris and his sweet, pregnant wife are in the process of moving and Chris is working out of town so we have been trying tohelp finish up all that final stuff that has to be done to get out of a house so pregnant Trish doesn't have to do it all (or her sweet mom who has been there to help every day too).  We've cleaned and done yard work and packed last minute kitchen and bathroom items and wrapped and packed pictures. 

Like any house, Chris's house has some minor issues that should probably be attended to before renters move in.  We've been trying to take care of these, and by "we" I mean Josh 'cause I pretty much just try to control the kidlets and keep them from messing up the work we've already done (ok, after the first day we learned and borrowed my mom's bounce house and just sent them in the back yard so I have been sort of helpful).

When Josh got home today after making a couple of trips to the storage locker with final stuff and working to get the sprinkling system up and running, he did a bit of whining about the things that had to be done at the house.  I said, yea, but that is how all houses are.  He said, not ours.  If we were to move tomorrow there would be next to nothing to do to get it ready for someone else.

I laughed because I thought he was joking. 

He wasn't.

So I looked at him crooked and proceeded to list a bunch of the stuff that I could think of that needed attention in our house (that is just the plague of having a house...something ALWAYS needs fixing).  Broken doorknobs, wall dents, ceiling fan issues, chipped paint, cracked windows....you get the idea. 

Here is where he made his fatal mistake. 

He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Yes, but we don't care about those things.  If they really mattered we would fix them."

My jaw dropped.  All this time I thought I was in a partnership with someone who was going to help me take care of this home, I didn't realize it was up to me completely on my own to manage the entire process. 

He saw my face and knew he had flubbed.  He tried to fix it, but he sounded annoyed and condescending so it didn't go over well. 

"Well if you actually care about that ridiculous and worthless stuff just put it on a list and I guess I can come down to your level of silly care for the home try to get to it even if I think you are crazy." (I may have exaggerated the actual words just a bit, but that is completely the meaning of what came in through my ears to my brain).

I stood up.  I left the room.  Better that than biting off his nose which was my first thought (his nose really is one of his distinguishing features so it is better left on his face). 

He skulked around the house like a meek puppy for a while before he dared brave my wrath (boy can I be scary...I guess).  He did finally try to come apologize and I am not very good at holding grudges so he wore me down and now we are friends again.

Funny thing is, even when I am mad at him (and it is usually over something silly like this) he is still my favorite person in the world and I'd rather be around him than anyone else.  Guess we must be soul mates.  I think I'll keep him. 

But I'm still gonna make that list!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Melissa! You may not remember me, but I'm an old friend of Josh's from high school. I found your blog on his facebook page and it has been lovely to see how you all are doing. CLEARLY he found a STELLAR companion in yourself! You children are beautiful and I can tell that you take such pride in what you're doing.

I just wanted you to know all that :)

Lionheartg said...

If you need help fixing things around the house, I happen to have some experience.

Deborah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...