One family favorite treat that we loooove to nibble on (especially at holiday parties) is "Bacon Wrapped Lit'l Smokies." My mom found this recipe and we have used it over and over and it never fails to please the palate!
Bacon wrapped around sausage drenched in brown sugar...can you really get better?
They are simple enough to make that I often have the kids create them with me. They are just a tiny bit time consuming at first, but the flavor is well worth it.
You will need:
1 pkg (16 oz) Lit'l Smokies mini smoked sausages
1 pkg (12 oz) bacon
1 Cup tightly packed brown sugar
And here's how you do it:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut your bacon pieced in 3rds and wrap one bacon strip around each Lit'l smokie securing it with a toothpick.
3. Place the Smokies tightly in rows on a cookie sheet (one with a rim to hold in dripping oils and keep your oven from becoming a gooey mess). The online recipe I am linking you to says to put your brown sugar on top from the start, but I like to cook these for about 10-15 minutes first and then pour off excess oil. The end product is a little less soggy and a bit more crispy that way.
4. After cooking for 10-15 minutes and pouring off excess oil, spread the brown sugar evenly over your meat skewers and put it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until sugar is melted.
5. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes to cool. Then serve and watch them disappear from the serving platter. Yummy!
This link will take you to an online version of the recipe where you can read reviews and other ideas. Some people say they even cook these in the Crock pot, that seems like a great idea to me.
Anyway, these are super tasty and I think you will love them. Happy holidays (and happy eating!).