...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, December 16, 2011

Mmm, Mmmm good...Oreo Truffles

A few weeks ago someone brought us some treats and the kids gobbled them down in a flash.  That in and of itself isn't abnormal, but the kidlets kept asking if I had any more or I could make them.   My friend Kathy said she thought she had a recipe for these sweet treats hiding somewhere in her kitchen.  Well, the kids wouldn't stop.  They just kept pestering me so I joined the fun and pestered Kathy until she finally gave me the recipe (she is a dessert creator extraordinaire...goodness the stuff that girl can throw together). 

Anyway, I needed to put together some treats to sell at the snack bar for one of Aubrey's dance performances last week (surprisingly I don't usually package treats quite this way when they are just going to be eaten by my sweethearts).  So I gave the recipe a shot.  It is a little bit time consuming because things have to cool between steps, but these treats are easy to make otherwise.  Our family loves them so I thought we would share.  Hope you enjoy!

P.S. They taste better (to me) served chilled so we kept ours in the fridge until we were ready to eat them, but they do fine on the counter as well. 

Oreo Truffles Recipe:
1 package (18 oz) Oreo cookies
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
Almond bark or white chocolate, for dipping
Chocolate Chips, for drizzling
Makes about 35, depending on size
****
DIRECTIONS
1. Crush Oreo cookies, cream center included, into small pieces. You can crush them in a food processor if you have one. We had fun crushing our cookies with a simple kitchen utensil.

 2. Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. The best way to do this would be with your fingers, though a bit messy!

 3. Roll into one inch balls (we used a small cookie scoop to make sure they were all the same size) and place onto a baking sheet or tray.

 4. Refrigerate until firm (3-4 hours) or place into the freezer for about an hour.

 5. Melt white almond bark or Vanilla Melty's from Winco according to package directions. Using two forks, dip Oreo balls into white coating and place onto waxed paper to harden (I stuck mine in the freezer to help them set faster).

 6. Once dry, melt chocolate chips with a bit of shortening/vegetable oil and scoop melted chocolate into a Ziplock baggie. Snip a very small corner off the bag and drizzle back and forth over the truffles. (I didn't use the bag, just drizzled off a spoon) Let dry.

Then the good part, EAT THEM!!  Yummy.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...