...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Life by inches

Today life is back to normal.
 


That means that even though it is a Saturday our youngest banged her way into our room before 7:00 this morning turning on lights as she went so that she could ask us for breakfast.  Never mind that her older sister and one older brother were calling from the kitchen, "Ellie, come here, we will get you breakfast."  Thanks for trying guys.  You are awesome.  Somehow breakfast made by Mom is more better (yeah, I know, the fairy of poor grammar must have inadvertently landed on my shoulder, but somehow that phrase is the one that fits this scenario for me). 
After Ellie broke the ice two more small ones pummeled their way into our bed.  This is a regular, morning ritual (I just wish it would scale back its time frame on weekends...sigh).  Gavin and Logan carefully (ha ha) climbed into bed with Josh and I while barely making their presence felt. Psyche!   Ok, in reality they stomped all over us while they fought over the spot right between us.  Yeah, that's how we roll.
While being blindly attacked Josh queried, "Uh, what are you guys doing?" to which Gavin answered "We're trying to give you hugs."  Josh, in a smiling sarcastic voice said,"I think I could do without kids jumping on me, crawling on me, standing on me..." and Gavin added (as he walked sadly from the room) "Or hugging you."  Is it cruel if Josh and I had to stifle our laughs while he walked dejectedly away?
Poor, sad, boy.  Don't worry, we fixed it.  That's what we do.
When I dragged myself out of bed at 7:03 I found Aubrey cooking eggs for anyone who would allow her to cook for them and Ellie eating dry cereal with not a drop of milk in it (that doesn't sound appetizing to me but hey, whatever floats your boat).
 
Yup, it's a normal morning.
 
And I love that.
 
Some days are difficult.  That is just the way of life.  Sometimes tiny problems pile up and pile up and pile up until eventually they feel like a mountain that is hard to overcome.  But it isn't really.  We can climb over things like that the same way we climb over anything else...one small step at a time.  Sometimes it feels like our feet are sliding only millimeters by minutes, but if we keep plugging away it is still progress and that is something to be proud of.
 
I also think it is completely fair to be down from time to time.  It's normal (at least I think it is).  Thankfully, if we let it, life has a way of reminding us of what really matters and helping us keep things in perspective. 
 
And here's mine.  How can a mom be too down when tiny kidlets flock to her bed every morning because they just don't seem to be able to start the day without her.
 
Not me.  Not really.
 
Things will work out.  I may not know how, but they will.  And I'll smile (most of the time) as I continue on the journey.  Because it is a beautiful adventure even an inch at a time.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...