...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Recap

Valentine's Day is a fun day!
 
We like it at our house.
 
 
The kids normally wake up to their heart shaped box of chocolates and they love that.  It is good to remind them that they are loved and that even if they make us crazy sometimes we still adore them.
 
 
A couple other things we had going on that day.  I spent some time the night before separating red and green M&M's.  I often buy seasonal candy on clearance because who really cares what color the stuff is, my kids are still happy to eat it.  But in this case I have learned over the years and the red and green bits can be split and then quickly become Valentine's and St. Patrick's appropriate treats so that's nice.
 


 I did the same thing with Kisses this year.  The red ones I used for a Valentine's craft and the green and gold ones will go for St. Patrick's fun (green you get, gold for the end of the rainbow...should be fun). 

 
Anyway, with my red kisses I made some roses for neighbors that we love.  My mom taught me to do this when I was young and they are super simple and still sorta cute.  Here's how (in case you need a quick thank you or birthday gift or something for someone special).
 
Using a hot glue gun dab a bit of glue on one kiss.

 
Then stick another kiss on the glue to end up with a sort of diamond shape like this.

 
Insert a wooden skewer into the melded kisses.  This is the stem of your rose.
 
 
Now take some colored tissue paper or colored cellophane and cut about a 4 inch by 4 inch square.  Wrap that square around your kisses, pinching it together at the bottom.  Don't worry about it looking perfect, the crinkles and folds add to the completed look.

 
Finally, use floral tape to wrap the bottom of the tissue paper and tightly wind it around the remainder of the stem.  Sometimes I add fake leaves to my stems, but since these ones were going to be planted into cupcakes we didn't do that.  A bouquet of these little sweethearts is simple, inexpensive and still fun.

 
Anyway, that's how we spent our Valentine's Day.  We had good friends over for lunch and tried to remind people that we care about them.  As an added bonus we gorged on candy and had some fun.  It was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...