...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, July 18, 2014

History under the mask of amusement

At the moment, our children have a new favorite television show.

And I LOOOOVE it!

Now, that has not generally been my attitude when it comes to TV consumption around here.  My poor, sad children receive a fairly limited supply of electronic entertainment each day (sometimes my small ones seem to feel their well-regulated allotment verges on cruelty...but that's the sad truth around this place).

I am not opposed to televisual amusement, but I am particularly drawn to it when my kidlets are spoon-fed doses of something more than just entertainment.

So when I exposed my sweethearts to "Mysteries at the Museum" and they fell in love with its glittering antique secrets I quietly did internal cartwheels while I said, "Sure, you can watch that show for TV time."

And that's how their addiction began.

I am thrilled that they sit expectantly as the host of the show explores the perplexing or lethal or unique pasts of odd relics and strange artifacts. My mind cheers as they hear about wars and historical events and politics and spies and the benevolence of people and everything else this Earth has to offer...real, true events that have shaped the world.  I exult as they come rushing into the room shouting, "Mom, did you know that there were people who were born with blue skin?" or "Have you ever heard of Bonnie and Clyde?" or "We should take a trip to see Mount Rushmore sometime."  Aaaahh, music to my ears.

That's right.

I am surreptitiously serving my children non-lethal doses of history under the guise of afternoon amusement.

Don't think less of me.  One day I'll come clean to them.

But until then, I will just sit back and enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...