...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, June 27, 2016

Four years of battle (and counting)

Four years ago I began my serious battle with Crohn's Disease.

I was diagnosed in 2011, but in June of 2012 I started to fight...HARD.

That's when I began a regimen of nightly pills and bi-monthly injections that has been going on for four years now.

I cannot express how grateful I am for the meds I get to inject into my belly twice a month to keep my gut from rebelling too much.

Sure, we still have disagreements.  We don't get along some of the time.

Who would have thought I'd look forward to stabbing myself with a needle every other week.  That was not an adventure I saw coming.

But I feel very very thankful that there are drugs out there that help me have a mostly normal day to day life.  I feel so lucky to have incredible doctors who go out of their way to help my body function as best it can.  I feel blessed that despite being bosom buddies with an ugly disease, I get to have such an amazing life.

Yes, Crohn's likes to get in the way of my fun pretty regularly.  He tries to steal the show and he
wants all the attention for himself (arrogant drama queen that he is).  But I appreciate the challenge.  It reminds me that a good life is worth fighting for.  It reminds me that beautiful moments don't have to stem from perfect circumstances.

It forces me to CHOOSE whether to give in and cry or to grab hold of happiness and claim it for myself even when there is pain.

Yes, every day is a battle.  Yes, my sword comes in the form of injectable medication and inborn stubborn-ness.  Yes, there are moments that STINK and moments when I don't want to feel tired and sick and weak.

But also...

Yes, I am amazingly blessed.  And, yes, if this one hitch is what I have to face in order to live life with my family and see their smiles and laughs and tears every possible moment of every day...

...then I am thankful for the privilege.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...