...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My Crohn's Disease gets sent to the corner

This week I had a check in appointment with my gastroenterologist.  I get to chill with this medical crew every six months to keep tabs on my Crohn's, update my labs and blood work, and just make sure things are as they should be.

This particular appointment came about a month after my latest colonoscopy (oh, the fun of a colonoscopy).  While the visual results from that procedure were good, you have to wait weeks for biopsy findings and such to know how things are going down deep.

I finally got to see those results yesterday.  And -- BEST NEWS SINCE DIAGNOSIS -- lab work shows that I am officially in endoscopic remission!

What is endoscopic remission, you ask?  Well, let me tell you.  It means (according to my GI) that all the way down to the microscopic level, my Crohn's Disease is currently getting spanked!  That's right intestinal trouble maker, you have been benched, sent to the corner and forced into an "I make people hate me" hat.  Go ahead and cry, no one feels bad for you.

Fabulous!!!

While patients sometimes believe they are in remission because they don't feel day to day symptoms or don't have dynamic flare ups, these findings go well beyond just feeling good.  This means that my medications and regular injections are seriously doing their job and keeping my immune system from turning against my body.  This is incredible news to me.

While my gut is still full of scar tissue and there is no guarantee of how long remission and I will be hanging out together, I am going to celebrate this victory and enjoy it while it lasts...which it will hopefully do for a good, long while.

After three long years of treatment, remission and I are officially introduced.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful news. Keep up the good work! Love, Grandma Kay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...