...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Growing up: the glad and the sad of it

The other morning I was happily minding my own business when suddenly this came upstairs ready to head off to school.
 
 
What the heck!
 
Who gave her permission to grow up so fast?  Whoever it was did NOT get my approval on that one.  I want her to stay my sweet little princess for just a tiny bit longer. 
 
But, sadly, no.  She is 11 going on 18.  She is anxious to mature and make choices and dig in to her life more deeply each moment.
 
Now, don't get me wrong here, I am extremely pleased with the young lady she is choosing to grow into...it just happened WAY too fast. 
 
That's the thing about raising children.  There is this constant battle between nostalgia and growth.  I love watching my sweethearts stretch and learn and become something more than they were the day before.  But then I miss the innocence and simplicity of the day before.
 
What a beautifully wistful adventure parenthood is turning out to be.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...