...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Thursday, January 16, 2014

A small scientific brag

Wednesday night was the Matheson Jr. High science fair.

My son, Bryce, loves the science fair.  He works hard on his projects every year and I've always been proud of his dedication and creativity.

This year he decided to do a project testing the conductivity of different liquids to an electrical charge (you know this was his arena and not mine because while physics was always my favorite subject in school I never did care much for the electrical current/magnetic field sections).  He also invited his friend to work with him on the project.  The two boys got together several times to run their tests and put together their presentation.



The boy's display board the day they turned it in for credit in December.
 Well, Bryce went to the science fair finale on Wednesday night to peruse the other projects and see the prizes awarded.  After seeing the other projects he felt that while his project was good, he wasn't sure it was good enough to warrant an award.  

He was very excited for another friend who won the third place prize in the 8th grade group.

His ears perked up when they announced that the winning 8th grade project was done by a team.  Was it possible?  

Yup!  He was ecstatic when they called his name and his friend's name as the winners for the 8th grade group.  I haven't seen him that thrilled in a long time (I love it when he gets excited because it all come pouring out of him in wicked dance moves and excited leaps and the like...its pretty fun to watch).

While I am incredibly pleased that he won first place, I am even more pleased that this project was all his (and his partner's).  They came up with the idea, they did the research so they would know what to test for, they contacted people to find the equipment they needed, they evaluated what the results meant, they put together findings and graphs, they did it all!  I am just so proud of these boys that I could burst.

Forgive me for bragging, but I just couldn't help it.
  
Love that growing scientist!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...