...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas to be Thankful For...

I have a wonderful Christmas story to tell you.  I love a good story about kind people who reach out and help others and make the world a more beautiful place.  I love this story even more because this year the story is mine. 

I have mentioned before how humbled Josh and I feel because of the generosity of the people around us, but we feel like we really need to give a gigantic thank you to those who have made us feel so blessed this year, so here goes.

Josh is a school teacher and I am a stay-at-home mom.  We are not rolling in dough, but we are rolling in happiness.  We are very frugal and we feel very grateful that we have always been able to take care of our family.

We knew that Christmas would be a concern this year and so during the summer I spent several Saturday mornings at yard sales in Draper (man the deals you can find!!).  I also made regular trips to DI just keeping an eye out.  We even had a sweet family in our ward pass on some toys their kids no longer used that were in FABULOUS shape so we saved those.

By the time December rolled around we felt pretty good about the cache of items we had gathered.  We felt very thankful that Heavenly Father had helped us find a way to have a few really fun things for our kids for Christmas.

Then, the week after Thanksgiving we received an envelope in the mail with no return address.  Inside we found $500.  We were shocked, but incredibly grateful.  This money showed up two weeks after the disappearance of our family camera.  I had scoured the house searching for it, but it was just plain gone.  This allowed us to purchase a camera before Christmas so that we could capture the magic of the entire season.  A week later we also had a problem develop with our furnace and it cost $300 to repair.  Without the generosity of this person we would not have had the money to pay for the repair.  To me, this was an absolute miracle.

A little way into December (back when there used to be snow) Santa Claus showed up at our door.  He kindly talked to our excited children and gave them each a treat.  Then he gave Josh an envelope that held a variety of gifts cards inside (Smiths, Walmart, Kohls).  We felt so very blessed.  It always surprises me when people decide that they want to bless the lives of someone around them our family comes to mind.  How humbling, in the most warm your heart way imaginable. 

The next week,we received another card in the mail.  This time there was no name, but a p.o. box return address (thank you card is on the way) and a gift card for $300 to Walmart.  We will be using this for groceries after the holidays.  That is nearly 3 weeks grocery budget for our family.  What a blessing.
Next, one night last week a lady showed up at the door.  She handed Josh an envelope and said it was from our "Secret Santa."  Inside was another $200.  We deposited the bulk of this in savings but also took the kids to Toys-R-Us to let them purchase a gift for one sibling (after drawing names).  I feel very grateful that our children had the chance to do that, I love it when they have the opportunity to think of someone other than themselves.  They really got into it and worked hard to find the PERFECT gift for their chosen sibling.  I was so impressed with the concern and care that showed in their gift giving.  These little people are amazing, the world is better just because they walk it's paths.

Because we have had very sick children this past couple of weeks (flu and croup followed by a quartet of ear infections) we have also had a lot of doctors visits and the extra money in savings has made it possible for us to pay the required co pays without wondering where the cash will be coming from.  It was such a blessing to head straight to the doctor when the kids weren't feeling well instead of debating if we could just handle it on our own because we just didn't have the funds.  Someone else's kindness brought peace to this mother's heart.

Christmas Eve our Sweet neighbor came over to see us.  She brought an ornament and note for each of our kids (she treats them like bonus grand kids, they adore her).  She also gave Josh and I a card, which included $100.  We were dumbfounded.  We love her, what an example of kindness and love she shares.

Finally, Christmas Eve night we were up until a little after 2:00 am assembling an amazing Playmobil castle that I picked up at a garage sale that had loads of pieces but not so many instructions.  Still for $1.50 it was so worth it especially because also in the box we discovered 12 Lego guys as well as all the Playmobil stuff. 

Anyway, as we went outside to throw away the boxes and papers from our escapades we found on our porch several garbage bags full of stuff.  I don't know who brought it, but they were inspired because the bags were loaded with things our family really needed.  There were all kinds of dish cleaning supplies, a gigantic kitchen skillet (we REALLY needed one), games, sheet cake pans, a gallon of eggnog, towels for everyone...it felt like a miracle.  I didn't expect to be in tears at 2:00 Christmas morning, but I was and Josh's eyes leaked a bit too. 

I don't know what possessed people to reach out in such charity and kindness to our family this year.  There is no way a person could earn or deserve this sort of support and love.  All I can say is that I am thankful.  In a year where I though we would be scrimping to fill the stockings of our little angels we are instead overflowing with Christmas cheer.

I don't really know how to thank those that have sacrificed so freely to bless my life and the lives of the people I love  most, but I hope that I can find ways to show my gratitude.  The Savior said "Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these...you have done it unto me," and I believe that is the path I will have to take.  I cannot hope to repay these kind gestures, but I hope that in reaching out and doing what I can to bless the lives of others I will be able to help them see how thankful I really am.

I hope that everyone can feel as loved and as humbly grateful this holiday as I do.  Life is such a blessing and being in the family of God makes each day a joy.  Thanks to all who make my life so beautiful.  Whether you give friendship or smiles or anything else, know that I am grateful for you. 
  

1 comment:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Oh Melissa this post made me cry! You guys are so wonderful and you absolutely deserve nothing but the best :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...