...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lego my Birthday

Well, Parker is about to turn seven.   His birthday is so close to Christmas that we have to celebrate a little bit early or no one can come to a party.  He decided on a Lego themed party.  I was a little nervous about the Lego idea, but we decided to give it a try.  Here's how it turned out.
 Our house looked all festive with Christmas stuff mixed with birthday streamers and balloons. 

As the kids arrived we broke into teams.  We played a bunch of Lego related games.  We had the boys carry Lego's under their chins to drop in a jar.  it was pretty funny to watch and the kids had a good time with it.

 Next we built Lego buildings out of Duplo blocks and then each team tried to knock the other team's building down by throwing wadded socks at them (the socks were clean).  The tallest tower after all the throwing was the winner.  They would have played this one all afternoon if I would have let them.  It was a great game.

 We each took at guess at how many Legos were in this jar and the closest guess won a prize.  We played a couple of other games but I didn't get pictures of everything because Josh wasn't there so I was doing all of the organizing and photography.  Also, I am scatterbrained on my best day so I feel pretty good that we got as much as we did on film.
Finally it was time for our pinata.  That didn't quite go the way we had planned.  It was raining and hailing outside and the wind was blowing all the water onto our carport so we couldn't really take the kids outside.  So, instead, we put the Lego pinata on the floor (one of the easiest pinatas I have ever made...square shaped things are so simple!).  We rolled a dice that had  0,1,2 and 3 on it and that told the kids how many times they could hit the pinata with the plastic bat we had.  It was sure funny to see them frown when they rolled a 0, they pouted so adorably (everyone got 0 at least once, but not too often). 
                                                                                    

Then we had cake.  Ok, I am no Angela Daley or Tara Turpin, but for me this was pretty good (lets just pretend the gel writing stuff didn't get all runny near the end...I don't know how to use this stuff). 

Parker blew out his candles and everyone ate and was happy.  All in all it was a success.  Parker was really pleased with how things went and that is all that really matters.   
Also, Ellie was a tease the whole time.  I had hired Aubrey to watch the two littlest kids downstairs so they wouldn't be in the way, but she sort of got absorbed in a movie and my tiniest sprites wandered up to be involved in the party.  They were actually really good so it worked out anyway. 
It really was a good day...but mostly I am glad it is over.  I love trying to help my kids have a good time with birthday parties, even if they are simple little celebrations, but I am also glad to have all the work over with.  I am grateful to have these people in my life so that I always have something wonderful to celebrate. 

1 comment:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Okay, I think I'm going to have to hire you to plan MY birthday parties! I'm seriously still jealous of the Harry Potter one you had for Bryce (I think...) a while ago! lol :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...