...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Recipes by Request (and because I like them)

I had a super adorable mom ask me to share some of the dinners we eat here at the DeMoux abode while cooking on a budget.  I have to tell you, first off, I really hate cooking.  It has never been my cup of tea (actually, I don't drink tea so that is no surprise). 
Ok, our meals may not be good enough for a banquet like
this, but they are good enough for our table!

If I can't prepare whatever it is in an hour or less I don't usually take it on.  That said, I don't use many pre-made meal items because they are too costly.  I don't buy bagged salad, I chop up a head of lettuce.  I don't buy pre-made lasagna, I make it on my own (from a super fabulous and simple recipe).  I don't buy cookies (very often, to my children's chagrin), I make a boatload of batter and then freeze it in zippered freezer bags to use when I need it. 

My sister-in-law has a cooking blog with her sisters and I do like many of her recipes.  Check them out here.

We eat a lot of simple staples like tacos and spaghetti, home made pizza, easy Chinese food and casseroles.  The internet is an incredible resource when looking for simple recipes.  Here are a few of our favorite meals that are not too labor intensive and not too costly but still taste great. 

Tara's Tacos (From my friend Tara Turpin who also has a great food blog)
(I have made a couple changes to her original recipe because I am feeding lots of people..this recipe will make 10-12 burrito style soft tacos)
2 chicken breasts cubed and cooked
1/4 cup minced bell pepper
2 Tbsp minced green onion
1/2 cup frozen (or canned) corn
1/2 cup black beans (drained)
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 Tbsp minced parsley
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese (we use a combination of Colby/Jack cheese)
Burrito style soft tortillas
After cooking the chicken mix in all the other ingredients except the cheese and heat together.  After the mixture is heated, pour in the cheese until it is well melted.  Spoon a large serving onto burrito sized soft tortillas and fold into tacos.  Place on a cooking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 min (10 min each side).  Serve with ranch dressing.  These are super tasty and ALL of my picky eaters like them (plus, who can pass up a recipe with beans and corn and spinach that kids will actually eat!).  (Cost: About $10 to feed 8-10 people)



Cream Cheese Chicken
2 Tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
2 chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 ounces cream cheese
1 package frozen broccoli
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Cube and cook chicken.  In a sauce pan stir together cream of chicken soup and cream cheese over medium/low heat.  You may need to think this a bit with some milk so that it is the consistency of a thick gravy.  Pour the cream mixture over the chicken and stir in the broccoli.  On your counter top, use two crescent triangle to make a square by pressing the edges together and roll it out with a rolling pin.  Place a spoon full of chicken/cream mixture in the center and fold the crescent over to form a pocket.  Place this on a cooking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  Pour any remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle liberally with cheddar cheese then cook for another 5-10 minutes.  This is another family favorite. (Cost: About $12 for 8 servings)

Taco Soup (I got this from a coworker -- Wendy Philbrick -- back before I became a mom)
I love this recipe because you can throw everything in a crock pot in the morning and ignore it until dinner time.  The longer it simmers, the better it tastes!
15 oz can whole corn
15 oz can kidney beans
15 oz can pinto beans
15 oz can garbanzo beans (aka chick peas)
30 oz can tomato sauce
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 lb browned ground beef

Pour everything into the crock pot, juice and all.  Stir it well.  Cook for at least 2-3 hours and then enjoy.  Serve with salad and tortilla chips.  (In a pinch I have heated this on the stove top and it is still tasty, but it is much better when it has simmered all day). (Cost: About $8 to feed 8)

Yummy Lasagna (This was originally a Lion House recipe, but I had to tweak it because I am not willing to simmer things for hours so they can thicken...I don't have that much patience)

1-2 lbs ground beef (depending on how much meat you like and how much it costs that week)
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp parsley flakes (I use Italian seasoning instead)
1 Tbsp basil
1 20 oz can stewed tomatoes (I like to use Italian stewed tomatoes)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 10 oz pkg lasagna noodles
Cheesy mix:
3 cups (24 oz) cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz grated Mozzarella cheese

Brown the ground beef.  Mix in garlic, parsley flakes, basil and salt.  Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste.  Simmer, uncovered...they say for an 1-2 hrs until it thickens, I say let it simmer while you cook the other stuff and then call it good. It still tastes fabulous. Cook lasagna noodles according to pkg directions.  Drain and rinse.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix cottage cheese and pepper, parsley and Parmesan cheese with beaten egg in separate bowl.  Place half the noodles in a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Spoon on half the cottage cheese mix.  Layer with sprinkled Mozzarella cheese then spoon on a layer of meat mixture.  Repeat the layers and finish with Mozzarella on top.  Bake 30 minutes.  Ooooh, this one is good! (Cost: About $15 for 12 servings)

Like I said before, I am not a cook.  I don't like cooking, but I do like eating tasty food so I put up with the chore.  I really believe it is possible to make delicious, easy meals without spending a fortune...that's how we roll.

2 comments:

Daley Family said...

I'm so happy you're putting some of your tips up here! It really helps :)

andersons said...

Thank you :)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...