...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Groceries on the Brain

Let's pretend this is an adorable picture of the kids clustered around
a shopping cart.  Oh, how cute!

I've had a couple of people ask me lately how I stay in my grocery budget while feeding eight people every week.  I know there are people who feed their families on much less money than we do, but we do manage to live off a school teachers salary (shhhh, it's about $35,000 a year with additional $2000 - $3000 from his part time job). It isn't anything miraculous, I am no money magician, but I do have a few things I do every single week that help me spend less. 

My grocery budget is $120 per week.  You may think that's tons or you may think that's skimpy, but that is our budget.  We are feeding eight people so that is $15 per person for the week.  That seems reasonable to me (not to mention I have a hard time getting all our stuff for much less so it's where we need to be).

Like I said before, I don't have the time or patience for extreme couponing (patience has NEVER been one of my virtues) but here are some things that help me get out of the store without spending a fortune.

1. Walmart -- I shop at Walmart.  Love them or hate them, that is up to you.  I am in it for the deals and to me, they are the best.  On top of that, they price match competitors adds and accept competitors coupons so for me they are the bomb.

2. Ad Awareness -- Every week when the grocery adds come in the mail I go through them with a marker.  I circle everything that is a deal (that means I have to pay attention to how much things normally cost but after a couple weeks of watching you will be a pro).  Then I stash the ads in my grocery folder and don't look at them again until Monday when I make my grocery list (and price match the deals).

3. Make a List -- BEFORE I leave to go to the store, I make a list of everything we need.  I decide what meals we will eat for the week and jot down the needed items for those recipes.  I try to plan my meals around the deals from the ads so if tortillas are on sale, we'll have tacos or if spaghetti sauce is on sale you can bet on Italian night at the DeMoux house.  I also make note of the cost of each item rounding up to the nearest dollar ($2.58 = $3).  Then I add up my costs to be sure I am in budget.  Don't forget to put everyday items like catsup, juice mix, bread or cereal on your list.  Trim down your list by cutting non essentials like ice-cream or crackers if things don't add up.

4. Leave Leeway -- I ALWAYS leave $10 leeway in my budget for the things that I WILL forget.  It never fails that I get to the store and remember we are out of toothpaste or mustard or I see an awesome deal on garbage sacks and want to stock up.  When I add up my list I make sure it comes to $110 or less so that I have a little bit of room to expand when I need it.


5. Stick to the Budget -- I don't care how great the discount is, if you are spending more than your budget week after week after week to stock up on great items then you are NOT getting a deal.  You will spend yourself into a hole while you stockpile stuff in your storage room.  I am not saying don't ever stock up.  I like to keep $100 or so set aside (not every week, but for rare occasions) for those just in case awesome moments.  However, if you are constantly "stocking up" pretty soon you will be broke.  Stick to your budget.

6. Childs Play -- Maybe the hardest part of all is shopping with kids in tow.  Combating the "mom can I haves" and the "can we go home yets" can be a nightmare.  However, if you are like me, you have to take the kids when you shop; that is just how it is.  So, I do a couple of things to help.  First off, we established ground rules early on.  Kids under six have to hold onto the cart at all times, kids older than six have to be right with me.  I assign the older children to find certain items for me when we are on an aisle so they stay entertained.  I also let the kids help pick which cereal or crackers or oatmeal we buy. 

Finally, we have a deal that IF the kids are good, they get a treat.  Our last stop is the pastry aisle where we buy a cheap box of donuts or other treat that the kids can share IF they have been good.  I make no excuses for not doling out sweets if they have misbehaved, but I do hang it over their heads while we're shopping ("Wow, that's not the kind of behavior that will earn a treat").  Maybe the best part is that I give the kids a budget for their treat and then let them choose what they want.  They have to weigh their options and costs and come to a consensus.  It is great practice for their own future budgeting.

Anyway, I don't purport to be any kind of wonder shopper, but we do manage to bring home the things we need without breaking the bank...and no one has starved yet. 
Look at all those happy (well seven out of eight's not bad) and well fed people.


1 comment:

andersons said...

I found your blog through KSL. I find it fascinating that a family of 8 lives on a teacher's salary. I am so impressed! I'd love to learn more about how you do it. For example what meals you make that are inexpensive. Keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...