...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend


Logan, incredibly proud of himself on Friday because he
poured his own cereal for the first time.
What a GREAT weekend...overall.  We celebrated Josh's birthday, we (finally) planted our vegetable garden, and we honored our moms.  All in all it was a wonderful few days.
I feel like a traitor for saying this, but I don't usually love Mother's Day.  I am grateful for the chance to honor the moms in my life and I appreciate that my little crew tries to make me feel special. 

However, the amount of arguing and mess making on Mother's Day always seems to reach epic proportions and any scolding seems to be followed by someone questioning, "Mom, you are having a good Mother's Day, right?"

I try really hard to smile and say, "You guys are the best, I love you," or something cheesy (but true) like that, but the day is often difficult.

This Mother's Day did bring me several beautiful moments though.  During church, all of the primary kids (age 3-11) were called to the front to sing a couple of songs they have been practicing for their moms.  I always love this (even when I didn't have kids of my own it was my favorite!). 

However, my little three year old refused to make the trek to the front.  He wanted nothing to do with it.  We coerced and pleaded and finally I just pulled him onto my lap to watch the other kids.  It would be silly to make a big deal out of something like that.

As the kids at the front started to sing Logan turned to me and asked if we could sing too.  He knew the songs and he wanted to sing along. 

So we sang.

He and I quietly joined our voices with those on the stand and we got lots of funny looks from the people around us, but I didn't care one bit.  I got a lap side serenade and I loved every minute of it.  I guess I am grateful he wouldn't go up to the front after all.  I felt all gooey inside, what a great feeling.

I also got to enjoy the creative poem that my eleven year old wrote for his grandmother.  It culminated with the line:
"Your heart is a sword that stabs me with love."

I love it!

I hope you all had a beautiful Mother's Day.  I'm sure the day wasn't perfect, what day is, but I hope you had one of those moments that reminded you why being a mother is often the sweetest part of your life (next to smooching your sweetie).  Happy (belated) Mother's Day everyone.

We schlepped off to Murray High School to surprise our dad
with birthday pie.

Six little students enjoying their chocolate pie.

Our newly planted garden.  No, silly, you can't see stuff growing yet, you
have to be patient.



We also spent some time spreading wood chips  in some
areas of the yard...and this little baby (we love you fabulous
new air conditioner) got its first use this weekend.  Hooray!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...