...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I love my little people

The other day I was with one of my elementary age boys in the car.  We were chatting while we drove to pick up someone from an activity.

I asked him how school had been that day.

He sighed and thoughtfully told me that today some kids in his class had been teasing a particular girl.  This girl struggles.  She can be rude and ornery and sometimes she doesn't understand or respect social norms.  She is not a bad kid at heart, but she doesn't always behave in a way that would make her "popular" or well liked with the other kids.

Well, at recess a group of boys had taken to teasing this girl and making fun of her a bit.  They told her she was weird and dumb and that's why she didn't have any friends because no one would ever want to be her friend.

And that's when my son stepped in.  He walked over to her, leaned in and told her that the boys who were teasing her were completely wrong because he was her friend.

I couldn't have been prouder.

My kids are far from perfect.  But so am I.  We are learning together, and moments like this make me think that maybe Heaven on Earth is a little bit closer than I believe it is in the moments when screaming and fighting fills the halls of my home.

My heart keeps hold of these moments, and they are something wonderful to fall back on in the minutes when family life is not nearly so sweet.

I do love my littles.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...