...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, August 1, 2011

The joy service (even if it isn't perfect)

Yesterday at church there were a couple of great lessons given about service.  Several people shared beautiful experiences they have had while serving or while receiving service from others.  It was a very peaceful and inspiring day.

One of the stories told was about a lady who went grocery shopping and while at the store realized that she didn't have the money to get all the food her family needed.  In particular she needed some ground beef and a roast, but she found she just didn't have the funds for it so she went home disappointed and hamburger-less.

Money was tight for the family, but they were doing ok, they wouldn't starve without the meat, but it's absence would make dinners a bit more tricky.

This awesome guy is incredible at knowing just
how to help me feel loved and important no matter
what else is going on.  He's amazing.
Later that afternoon there was a knock at the door.  The lady answered the door to find nothing but a paper grocery bag.  Stapled to the top of the bag was a $20 bill, and inside was a selection of meat including hamburger and steak.  She hadn't told anyone about her trouble, not even her husband, and yet somehow somebody had been inspired to step in and bless her family exactly the way that she most needed.

I love that.  I want to be that (I imagine we all do).

I want to be the kind of person that is aware of the things I can do to really make people feel important and to let them know that God loves and cares for them.  

To tell the truth, I am not a very social person.  I am not good at talking to people (to be totally honest I am a little bit scared of people -- grown-ups intimidate me).  But I still love people, I want to help people feel good about themselves.  I want to bless their lives and help them see how beautiful they are (except the ornery ones....just kidding, them too).

Anyway, so I came home from church feeling completely inspired to try to be better.  I do have the desire to bless lives but truthfully ** I AM ROTTEN AT KNOWING THE RIGHT WAY TO HELP**!

I have a good friend that always seems to know just the right thing to do or say to help someone feel better.  I don't have that talent.  When I am concerned about someone I try to know what to do, but pretty much I just take them cookies because that is usually all I can think of.  I know it is lamesauce, but it's true.

So, thanks to an inspiring day at church, I've resolved to try to be more aware and to try to really focus on what I can do to be more inspired in giving service.  And in the mean time, if you get cookies from me, just know that I love you and I'm doing my best even if my way of showing it is not super awesome.

I also came away feeling very very grateful for the people in my life who know just how to make me feel important and loved.  From surprise gifts left on our doorstep to kind notes in the mail or little hugs at just the right moment I am thankful.  I know these people are inspired and I am a much better person because of their example and love.  Thank you.

I remember seeing a cartoon strip a whole bunch of years ago that showed a girl hugging the people in her life one by one and at the end she said, "Our arms are the only one's God has to hug with."  Imagine the world we could create if we all really tried that hard to be God's arms and did that much to take care of each other. 

This world would be and even more beautiful place.  Here's hoping we do it (or at least give it the old college try...what fun!).

3 comments:

mormongrandpablogger said...

I will never complain if you give me cookies. You are much better than you realize. Keep it up and one day you will be shown just how influential you have been. Thanks for trying so hard and being humble enough to keep trying.

jess said...

I know how you feel, I'm always thinking of people but don't know what to do. Kudos for you for taking cookies! :-) I think yoy are awesome and have definitely felt the blessings of your service

Jamie said...

Melissa you are already so much this type of person. You have touched my life and been such an inspiration for me even if I have not told you so. I have received a little note from you with such sweet words and it came at just the right time. You have thought of me at times that surprised me because the timing was perfect (gallons of milk come to mind.) You are such an awesome example. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...