...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Home again, Home again Jiggedy Jig

On Wednesday I packed up our crew and we headed to the airport.  The kids haven't been there too often so they were pretty excited to see planes flying so low overheard as we drove toward short term parking.  Josh was still at work so it was just me and the kids and boy did we get looks from our friendly neighborhood other airport patrons.  A lady leading six sprites around gets plenty of attention on its own, but add in the excitement factor because said kids will be welcoming home their uncle who has been serving a mission for two years and also the thrills that come from things like moving sidewalks and interesting strangers and the spectacle grows exponentially.

My littlest little brother had been serving a mission for the LDS church in Ventura, California, but his two years of service was up and he was coming home.  His flight was supposed to arrive at 2:29 pm.  I called my parents about 1:00 to make sure the plane was on time and they said it was. 

We were a little slower getting out of the house than I planned so we didn't arrive at the terminal until 2:20 pm.  I was worried we might be a bit late...but I couldn't find my parents so then I worried that I had the wrong terminal.  I called my dad's cell phone to find out where they were.  They were still at their house.  Joel's flight had been delayed and wasn't going to land until 3:00 pm.

I was now facing down the fun of me and six excited kidlets hanging out in the airport for more than 30 minutes with nothing to do. 

Super fun!

Angels smiled down on us and I found a vacant corner with three empty chairs so I settled us in.  I pulled out my cell phone (Angry Birds, I have never loved you more than I did at the moment) and the older kids took turns playing while Ellie danced to the Angry Birds music (we were very entertaining).  Logan and Gavin were fascinated by watching the workings of a nearby elevator so I assume they will grow up to be mechanical engineers or something like that.  We played my emergency card games (Pictureka and Uno which I keep in my purse for just such occasions).

Ellie was the first to spot her dad coming down the escalator.  She started screaming, "My daddy's home!  My daddy's home!" as she sprinted toward the descending stairs.  Josh scooped her up and she was happy for a minute. 

Soon after everyone else arrived and we set up our missionary vigil in a prime location (the benefits of arriving very early). 

This was the scene that followed.

My mom cried the whole time.  Bryce could not stop telling Joel EVERYTHING that had happened during his two year absence (science projects and sports events, you name it).  For me, it was just good to see my baby brother again.   We spent the evening chatting and sharing stories and just enjoying each other.  It was a good thing. It is nice to have all five of us home and happy and together.

My mom and her baby.

1 comment:

Wife Of A Salesman said...

stop making me cry that is two days in a row now...except the part about "my daddy's home" like he had just come home from a long trip to a far off place...that made me giggle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...