...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fun in the garden

This last week I decided to do another craft with the kids (I know I am not ultra craft mom, but I do try to give my sprites fun projects from time to time), but this one didn't quite work out the way I intended.

For a few weeks we saved cardboard juice containers for this one.  We cleaned them out (no one wants fermented juice smell wafting through the house). 

Anyway, once we had enough for everyone we cut out a front section leaving a little lip at the bottom, filled the bottom with bird seed, then sliced a hole for our "perch" in the form of a Popsicle stick.  Finally, we zip tied them onto our garden fence.  (Also in there somewhere we tried to paint these feeders, but it didn't really work because the waxy cardboard wouldn't hold the paint.  I'm sure I could have sprayed them with acrylic first and then we could have painted them, but we didn't.  Maybe next time.)

We've had lots of avian visitors since then and we are loving that.


As a bonus just because I love you I am also giving you a preview of my pumpkins.  I AdOrE my pumpkins and I am really proud of them.  Josh makes fun of me because I talk to them and baby them, but I don't mind a little teasing.  Come October even he will be glad I mothered my gourds.  They will make fabulous Jack-o-Lanters and maybe even a delicious pie or two.

(If you are super keen you may have sensed a little bit of longing for fall in that last paragraph...oh, fall, how I love thee.) 


The pumpkin vines that are slowly wandering through my entire garden.  I love their spikey tendrils!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...