...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, September 24, 2012

Run, baby, run

My oldest son, Bryce, started jr high this year and he has jumped in with both feet.  As part of that, he joined the cross country team.  He has gradually improved in speed and stamina and I've been really pleased to watch him grow. 
 
This week he ran in his first cross country meet.  He and 150ish other boys (per Bryce's coach) lined up for the first cross country invitational of the year.
 
This is Bryce at the start of the race (the little guy in the fluorescent yellow shirt).
 

This is Bryce sprinting down his final stretch, head down, focused.  Makes this mother proud.
 
 
I really am proud of this kid.  In this particular race he finished 27th of the 150 something runners.  The first 20 finishers apparently receive award ribbons, so to be that close on his first ever race I thought was fabulous. 
 
 
More than anything I am proud that my son stuck with it.  He ran hard -- hard enough that he said he was close to tears a couple of times (don't tell him I told you that).  His face was bright red by the end and his eyes were a bit watery.  But no matter how much his legs were aching and was choking for breath, he didn't quit.  He ran the entire way -- no walking at all -- and he finished in the lead group of kids.
 
That kid makes me want to be better.  He makes me want to stand up and chase my dreams.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...