...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, March 12, 2010

Interior Design...DeMoux Style

Let me preface this post by saying that I am NOT crafty really at all...however, I am really determined and sometimes that is good enough.
When Ellie was born (or just before) we rearranged kid's bedrooms so that the girls would be together. That meant moving everyone around a little bit. Aubrey and Elinor ended up upstairs in a very plain bedroom. While the boys don't care much about that (they like to cover the walls with their own pictures and creations) Aubrey kept asking me when we were going to make her room a "girly" room.
Sadly, the funds are just really not available for exciting decor, so bit by bit we have added things that we had around the house or got for super cheap. I am pretty pleased with the turnout, and Aubrey loves it (which is what really counts).
I used some pink tulle that I inherited from a friend to make a window valance. We found the butterflies at a store we had a Christmas gift card for. They are really fun.
After Valentine's Day, Walmart was clearancing all their holiday stuff and these chipboard sparkly hearts were 50 cents for a package of five, and they are really sturdy, so we created a border by nailing them up.

I needed a big something to fill space on the one big empty wall in the room. I had seen a really awesome picture frame at Walmart that had a place for an 8x10 and four 4x6 pictures and thought that would be great for the girls room. However, it cost $25...no thanks. So, I made my own by padding a stiff piece of cardboard with batting and covering with more hand-me-down fabric. Aubrey loves it (we haven't gotten the picture to go in it yet..but will soon) and I am just really pleased that she feels like she how has a "girly" room.
Even if I am not Holly Homemaker (you should see some of the junk I have tried to make), I do like to get creative sometimes and feel pretty pleased when I can figure things out at home without spending a fortune (since I don't have one).

3 comments:

Henich Family said...

Holy cow Melissa....that room is so adorable and you would never guess that you didn't pay more to do it. GREAT JOB!

Design on a dime girl!

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Love it!!!

Josh and Heather said...

How cute! We need to stop by and admire the girliness :)I can never come up with cute craft ideas...but I am good at replicating. Check out my favorite blog to stalk... www.makeitandloveit.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...