...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, May 3, 2010

Homemade Weekend

Some fabulous projects have taken place in our home this weekend. It had been oodles of fun.
I spent a day in Josh's classroom last week helping some teenagers make greeting cards to donate to Ronald McDonald house (for parents/friends to send to their kids in the hospital).
I came home with lots of leftover bits of paper and the kids have taken to making bookmarks out of them.
This is one that our four year old made, he was pretty proud of it.
I think he did a fabulous job.


Next, our boys love oatmeal. We buy a lot of instant oatmeal.
This week I realized I have a bunch of #10 cans of quick oats in the basement as part of our food storage and wondered if I could figure out how to put together my own packets of instant oatmeal.
Thankfully, I wasn't the first person to come up with this idea so loads of smarter-than-me people already had recipes and ideas on the web.
So, the kids and I spent an afternoon putting together packets of our very own, DeMoux family cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal.
We got 25 packets (each one is double the size of one Quaker packet because one is never enough for my boys...even the two year old) out of the one can.
That was a great project.
(**Sad Update--No one will actually eat the oatmeal packs we made except Ellie...
The boys say the texture is wrong.
It looks great in our cupboard, maybe I can convince the kids that it is fine if I keep at it. We'll see)



Finally, Parker informed me that birds have been eating all of the seeds that we recently planted in our garden (they haven't really, but he is concerned). He told me the solution is that we needed a scarecrow.
So, we decided to make one.
Parker designed his face and everyone else helped stuff him and put him together.
We stationed him in the garden where he does, indeed, keep all the birds away.
Yippee!!!
(Josh walked past our kitchen window and glimpsed our little project and thought we actually had a kid in our garden...we all got to chuckle at Dad for a minute).
He may not be pretty, but he does his job (the scarecrow, not Josh...well Josh does his job too...oh, you get the idea).

1 comment:

Megan said...

That scarecrow is so cute! Your kids are so creative.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...