...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gaga over telephones...

Yesterday PJ had a friend over to play.  About 6:15 I heard PJ and his friend chatting in the next room.  PJ said they should see if this boy could stay for dinner with us.  It wasn't a good night for that (for me...RS visits) so I started to head for that room to nip this idea in the bud for this time.  Instead, I found this six year old boy on his cell phone calling his mother on her cell to see if he could stay.

Yup, that's right, this six year old had his own cell phone. 

I was surprised, to say the least.  I really do understand getting your kids a cell phone, I have no doubt that we will get to that place in life at some point...but we're not there yet.  Starting at age six seems a little extreme for me. 

However, I do have to admit that I am super paranoid as a mom (reference TONS of previous posts for proof of that), so maybe I am just really out of the flow of things. 

This boy's mother is very responsible and super sweet, so I'm not trying to pick on her.  I just can't imagine what goes on in life that a 6-year-old needs to have his own phone. 

Still, I trust that families (in general) make choices that will most bless the lives of their family members.  Most people are good people and want to do good things so there must be a good reason for this and in reality it is none of my business.  It just made me pause and think for a minute.

Hope PJ doesn't start asking for a phone, he will be so disappointed when I laugh to myself and say "No."  My kids are awfully deprived.  Oh well, I'm doing the best I can just like everyone else.

3 comments:

Daley Family said...

I agree that is pretty young for a cell phone, but I considered getting one for JuliAnna since she goes to a different school, but we decided that she isn't responsible enough for one yet.

I did tell James, we'd discuss it when he reaches Jr. High, which is in August, and we'll figure out if we feel that he should have one then.

mormongrandpablogger said...

Hold out until the last minute on the phone deal. Kids don't need them nearly as much as they think and trouble starts as soon as they learn how to text!! Good luck.

Manda Jane Clawson said...

That's so crazy to me! When I worked for VZW I had a mom call in to buy a blackberry for her 10 year old. What the heck is a 10 year old going to do with a blackberry??? My folks didn't let me have a cell phone until I was in Jr. High and even then it only had 15 minutes a month on it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...