...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Thursday, November 17, 2011

...I'm watching, honey...

The phrase of the week is "Momma, watch this."  These words regularly tumble from the lips of my two year old and are spoken as though her mouth is full of marbles (kind of garbled but also kind of adorable).

Then, my little fairy girl performs death defying leaps off the couch or fantastic spins that would make a ballerina jealous.  Either that or she knocks a tower of blocks into oblivion or falls face first into a self made pile of pillows.  Her balance is not fully developed so she often ends up sprawled on the ground after these daring feats which sometimes ends in crying and sometimes ends in laughter, it depends on her mood. 

If, by chance, I don't turn and look at the princess when she calls out "Momma, watch this," then she says it louder...and louder...AND LOUDER until I give her my full attention.  She just keeps repeating the phrase over and over, never getting mad, but definitely getting insistent, until she gets to show me her stuff.  What a funny little sprite. 

Not to be outdone, Logan often pummels himself into the mix and tries to one up his baby sister.  He has no interest in my attention until she has claimed it for herself and then he wants to be sure he gets his share.  It makes me smile.  It makes me crinkle up and laugh. 

After all, how many more years of this do I have.  How many more years until they want nothing to do with me and are embarrassed when I am around instead of thrilled that I am watching.  I am trying to enjoy every moment of this while I can (although when I am in the middle of making dinner or on an important phone call the shrieks of "Momma, watch this," are a tiny bit less endearing). 

I am always amazed at how fast these little ones grow.  It isn't unusual for me to wake up in the morning, blink my cloudy eyes and slowly focus on the picture of six little sprites that hangs opposite my bed and wonder in awe how in the world all of this happened (No -- I don't need an anatomy lesson, I just don't feel old enough/mature enough/adult enough to be the mother of six). 

But somehow these half dozen blessings toddled their way into my life, into my family and I want to love every single moment I have with them.  That doesn't mean there aren't moments where I feel like slapping a "return to sender" sticker on them and shipping them back (not the way they came, they'll have to find some other route), but those bits are much fewer than the bits where I feel so very grateful that God sent them to me.

I love that that little call of "Momma, watch this," is aimed at me and that I get to watch every one of these precious moments unfold before my very eyes.  I'm going to try to enjoy it while I can. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...