...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, November 7, 2011

. . .a TINY bit of bragging. . .

This past week a couple of things happened at our house that made me just so proud of my munchkins that I can't help but share. 

First Story: Bryce went to play with a couple of neighborhood friends.  They headed to one of the boy's houses to have some fun in the back yard.  When they got there, the two boys started gathering small piles of rocks.  Then they proceeded to throw the rocks at the wooden fence at the back of the yard.  The rocks clattered against the wood and some vaulted over the fence into the yard behind.  After every throw, the two non-DeMoux boys scuttled behind a bush to snicker and hide.

Bryce felt awful.  He didn't feel good about this activity, especially with the other boys hiding.  They eventually told him that the old lady that lived on the other side of the fence had asked them many times not to throw rocks at her fence but they just loved to torment her.  Bryce told the boys that what they were doing wasn't nice and he suggested they all go do something else.  No dice.  They were set on harassing their elderly neighbor. 

Bryce came home nearly in tears (he has a very soft heart).  He felt awful that the boys were being mean and said he had decided not to play with them anymore.  We talked about that bad feeling he had had that helped him choose to leave.  I told him that was the Holy Ghost trying to send him a message. 

He got a huge smile on his face and said, "I better go say a prayer and thank Heavenly Father for sending me a message to help me know what to do."  I think I nearly burst with pride and happiness.  What an incredible guy!

Second Story: At our house each child is assigned a day of the week that is "their" day.  They choose the shows that day, they choose any treats, help with any needed errands and say the family prayer. 

It was Aubrey's day and for her show, she asked if she could watch the 4th Harry Potter movie.  She had just finished reading the book (we normally don't watch movies until after we have read the book, it is a great motivator to keep our kids reading) so she wanted to see the movie.  I said sure and all the kids scurried downstairs to watch the show.

A couple minutes later Aubrey came up with tears in her eyes (why do all these amazing moments always seem to involve tears?).  She said, "Mom, I'm not sure if you knew this, but Harry Potter 4 is rated PG-13 and you don't usually let us watch PG-13 movies.  I thought about just watching the show anyway, but I decided I better be honest and come and tell you."

Incredible.  We don't normally let the kids watch PG-13 movies, but honestly, I didn't remember that this one had that rating (I'm not entirely sure why some of the Harry Potters and PG and some are PG-13, it doesn't seem clear to me but whatever). 

I told Aubrey we would need to turn the movie off until I had a chance to watch it again and see what is there (it has been a looooong time).  She was disappointed, but she felt so good about the choice that she had made to be honest and up front that it hurt less than it would have otherwise.  I couldn't stop smiling.

***********************************


My kids are far from perfect.  They are not obedient little angels who never do anything wrong and constantly pull others onto a higher plane of existence (you would know that FOR SURE if you ever glimpsed their bedrooms) but they are good people and I am so proud of the choices that they are making and amazing souls they are growing into.  I adore these little monsters, and I am thankful for the bright moments that litter our otherwise pretty normal days.  Forgive me for bragging, but I think they are fabulous!

1 comment:

mormongrandpablogger said...

Yeah well, I guess you are doing things right. Congrats on such delightful children. We sort of like their parents (who just happen to be amazing also) too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...