...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Our Arms are His Arms

A few months ago I was called as the relief society president in our ward.  I'll be honest, this spot can be a little bit daunting at times, but it is also such a wonderful chance to serve that I am super grateful for the opportunity.  I have honestly LOVED the chance to better get to know the women of my ward and I tell you what, I love them to pieces, every single one of them!  No exaggerating.  No fluff.  No crossed fingers or sideways glances.  I honestly love them, all of them.  I thought I loved them before this calling, but that was nothing to what I feel for them now.

And because I care for these people so much I am concerned with their lives and how they feel about themselves and their families.  That care has done something interesting for me. It has brought into the spotlight the amazing way that people around my ward serve and look out for each other.  There are so many times that I have a concern for a woman or her family and while I am trying to figure out how to help someone swoops in and saves the day -- often without knowing there was even an issue to begin with.

I feel uber blessed to be surrounded by people who care about each other and are not afraid to show it.  I love that these incredible people seem to be sitting on edge just hoping for opportunities to bless the lives of those around them and that they are quick to listen when the Holy Ghost whispers to them that someone could use a boost. 

I know this sort of thing has been going on for like forever and goes on in every ward and every neighborhood around the world, but at the moment I have a front row seat to much of it here in my ward and it is an amazing thing to watch.  I am so grateful for angels in blue jeans and mini vans who answer prayers every single day.  I love being witness to regular people doing extraordinary things just because they care.  It makes me want to be a better person and to better share my Heavenly Father's love for His children through my actions as well. 

President Kimball, past prophet of the LDS Church, once said, "God does notice us, He watches over us.  But it is usually through another person that He meets our needs."  I totally believe that is true. 

I also remember a Family Circus comic that I saw when I was growing up that stuck with me (even though that was never really one of my favorite comics overall).  It showed pictures of the older sister going to each person in her family and giving them a hug.  The final frame held the caption, "Our arms are the only ones God has to hug other people."

I really do love that.  God has given us the chance to look out for each other and to care for each other as part of our experience in this life.  We get the chance to act for Him and do what He would do if He were here (if we are willing).  Thankfully, He helps us along the way because we don't always know just the right thing on our own (or at least I don't), but what a beautiful blessing to be able to be His arms in our neighborhoods, wards and homes. 

Anyway, that's what has been on my mind lately.  I see this ward full of people that I truly adore and think there is no way I can ever really help each of them feel how much I love them let alone how much their Heavenly Father loves them.  Thankfully there is an army of service minded soldiers running around here doing the job.  I am grateful for the chance to learn from their example and try to step in and join the action. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...