...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Gettysburg

Yesterday marked the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg address. 

This concise snippet of verbal history may be no more than 272 words, but its powerful message has helped to shape a mighty nation. 

Anyone can string a bunch of words in a row to create a speech, but when those words are woven together in a simple and yet emotionally robust way their weight speaks to the soul rather than just the ear.  When that happens, we still care 150 years later that a humble man -- whose words were originally labeled as unimportant and an awful failure -- took less than three minutes to say some of the most poignant words this nation has yet to hear. 

This dedication of a hallowed field transformed into much more than just a speech at a political event.  Over the years that followed it became a hearty cry to arms for the American people, a rallying call that all could stand behind, a reminder that this country is built on something more than just laws and party lines and the absence of a king.  This nation was built on the backs of those who envisioned a place of freedom and power.  It is a nation of the people, by the people, for the people. 

That is something worth remembering.  Even after 150 years. 


Aubrey's class in school presented a program about President Lincoln and the Gettysburg address.  It was beautiful.  I honestly had tears in my eyes by the end.  I am so grateful for teachers who help my children learn about the things that are truly important.

My little confederate soldier with her friend Mr. Lincoln (aka, Will).

1 comment:

Corinne said...

This is me - I see your title and my heart starts racing and I think: THE DEMOUXs ARE IN GETTYSBURG!! I thought you were in town and I was going to force you all to come see me ;)

Also, I love Josh's expression in your heading picture :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...