...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Friday, February 3, 2012

Valentine's in the HOUSE

Soooo, Valentine's Day is coming and the kids asked me when we were going to decorate at which point I realized we don't really have Valentine's Day decorations, per se, so we should probably come up with some.

Pinterest to the rescue!

I browsed for a whopping like 4 1/2 seconds and found this awesome tutorial on how to make crepe paper roses and thought, "Hey, I can do that."  So we gave it a try.  We glued the roses on a three inch Styrofoam ball and this is what we ended up with.  I think they are fun!

They were so much fun in fact that we later cut out some big hearts and made a really cute door hanger for our front door.


 Then the other night for family home evening we had a lesson on gratitude and we decided to tie that into decorations as well.  We gave each of the kids a couple of hearts (these are paper doilies from the dollar store...I think I got about 50 of them for $1).  We asked them to write or draw things that they loved onto their hearts and then we clipped them onto a ribbon attached to our closet door.

It was loads of fun to see what was important to the kids.  Almost all of them chose to include family on their hearts (whew, I guess we did do something right somewhere along the way) but the other things they included ranged from books to food to friends and sports.  It was insightful.



What a great way to prep for a very kissable holiday.  We'll have to see if we can manage to add to our festive decor before the big day arrives.


Also, here are our finished Valentine's boxes for school (we are on year round school so the k-6 grade kids have their parties today since they go off track after today).

Ok, when I suggested this to the boys I didn't really imagine bloody, blackened teeth and bloodshot eyes, but I guess that's just boys.

Bryce decided to make an arcade game sort of box and Aubrey went for a mailbox theme.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...