...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Monday, November 5, 2012

Encore...and DeMoux sing to the death (or not)

This little beauty...
 

is the new favorite game at our house.  We love to play games anyway, but this one is really up our alley.

For those who haven't played it, in "Encore" you divide into two teams then go back and forth trying to sing at least 6 words of a song that has a certain word in it.

For example, if you are assigned the word "dog" the first team might sing "How much is that doggy in the window."  Then the next team might sing "Me and you and a dog named blue."  And back and forth and back and forth until a team can't come up with an acceptable song (you get 30 seconds each time to try to think of something and your time is monitored on a sand timer by the other team).

Anyway, I played this game in high school when we borrowed it from a lady in our ward and fell in love with it.  Then the other day while I was perusing the aisles of DI (local second hand store) I saw it, unopened on the shelf in its plastic wrap glory and everything so I snatched it up and brought it home (but first I paid for it...a whopping $2).

We have loved it (we are big music fans here) but my kids have gotten pretty upset about it because I totally ROCK this game!  They can't beat me (yet).  We have contests where it is the whole family against me...and I still kick their trash! 

(Does this seem like bragging, I don't want to sound overly prideful or anything...oh wait, I actually don't mind rubbing their noses in this a little bit...just not enough to draw tears.)

Anyway, we have played it 10-15 times in the month or so that we've had it and I am still unbeaten and it makes my kidlets frustrated, but they just keep trying and I LOOOOVE that.  I revel in their determination and perseverance...even if it is a lost cause (chuckle chuckle). 

No, seriously, I am not generally the kind of mom to just let kids win without good solid effort because I want the win to mean something to them (not that I am one to crush small hopes and dreams either, and I am very willing to play down so that no one gets smothered).  I honestly think it is good for children to learn that they can't win ALL the time and that they often have to work at something before they become the champion.

I imagine it will not be too much longer until my little brood will be able to beat me and then we will all cheer because their victory will be real and that will make it very very sweet.

Anyway, it's a fun game, I think you should try it.  Why don't you come over and we'll play together (that way I can extend my winning streak beyond the walls of just my home)...(just kidding).

2 comments:

mormongrandpablogger said...

Is this some sort of challenge you are sending out to the world. You KNOW that if I come play your silly little game you will be thrashed into humility. Don't make me come over there and embarrass you in front of your little ones. :-) Love Dad

Melissa DeMoux said...

Yeah, Dad, I bet you could take me. I don't doubt that at all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...