...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hold Still

Josh has had this week off from school (both high school and college school...it has been lovely!).  Because of that we have had the chance to spend the afternoons together here at the house (mornings and evenings are dominated by the needs of the children and the house but nap time -- which isn't the quiet escape that I usually look forward to when the older kids are home from school -- is time for adult indulgences).

Well, Santa knows how much our family loves books so he brought us a bunch (thanks Santa!) so Josh and I have done a fair amount of reading together in the living room when the little kids are resting. 

We have two couches in the living room so we each claim one as our spot and we plop down to enjoy our stories.  The thing is, once Josh settles in he doesn't seem to move until he gets up to go do something else.  I, on the other hand, fidget and adjust and change positions every few minutes trying to stay comfortable.  I cannot fathom sitting down and just staying put in that same position for an hour or two.  That is completely weird (if you ask me).

This picture has nothing to do with any of this, but I
thought I'd put it in here anyway.
I have known that I was broken when it came to sitting still for a very long time.  I remember going to a movie with one of my best friends in high school and noticing that when she sat down to watch the show she didn't budge until we got up to leave the theater.  My body twitched and moved while I crossed and uncrossed legs and arms and shifted from one side of the chair to the other.  That was the first time I realized maybe there was something wrong with my internal fidget-o-meter.  I think it is on high when maybe it should only be on medium.

Oh well, I still get the books read and the movies watched.  Maybe all that extra movement counts as exercise and it will keep me thin (ha ha ha).  Mostly it just makes me chuckle at myself (like lots of other things do).  Keeping up with six children does require near constant movement so maybe this little gift was a blessing to help prepare me for the life I never knew I had coming.  Life is good, even if I can't hold still. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...