...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Sunday, October 16, 2011

How to Host a Murder...50's style


Have you ever held a "How to Host a Murder" party?

I am a big fan.  I love these parties in a box (complete with character layouts and plot twists and the whole "who dun it" experience).  I think these parties are loads of fun.  Since we usually ask our guests to dress their part, we thought this was a perfect activity for the Halloween season. 
.
FYI: You can pick them up at any store that sell board games, but this one I found at a thrift store, fully intact and it cost me a whopping $1.00 (just keep an eye out).  Anyway, there are lots of different games (I highly recommend the Chinese one --Hoo Hung Woo -- or the 20's gangster one -- The Chicago Caper).  The one we played this weekend was a 1950's themes party based in a malt shoppe surrounding the murder of the famous rock star, Rock N. Roley (he's fake, don't look up his greatest hits). 


We did our best to turn the house into a 50's diner (within reason) and invited over the required number of couples (this was the hardest part because it was hard to pick just three couples...we'll have to do it again soon).  From our candy counter to our cheesy jukebox and our fabulous menu (which didn't matter because our waitress wouldn't take orders for anything but roast beef anyway -- that was my adorable nine year old daughter, she was so excited to be part of the fun) we tried to set the scene.   
 
Josh and I threw together costumes with what we had on hand.  He was a stuffy accountant and I was a 50's now married party girl.  Everyone else got in the spirit of the evening as well and came in a costume fitting their assigned character (thanks guys).We sat around accusing each other and laughing and eating and just had a really fabulous evening (just so you know...Jay was the killer... who would have guessed?).  
Even though it has been several years since we hosted one of these parties, I find that I still LOVE them and I'm really glad we could do something unique and fun to celebrate the Halloween holiday!

Josh and I showing off our 50's duds.  If my belt looks familiar
you may remember it from this recent post.  Just so you know,
no one complained about my belt placement this time around
but Logan did tell me I looked pretty and should dress like
this all the time...think not buddy.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

So super fun! Clint and I did one with some friends when we were in college - it WAS one of the Chinese ones! I made myself this awesome peach Chinese robe. Fantastically fun :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...