...and they all lived happily ever after...

...and they all lived happily ever after...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Out with the old...or not

This year as I pulled out all of our Christmas odds and ends I decided it was time for a new tree skirt and maybe a few other things.

This old, sad, maroon tree skirt has dressed our  Christmas trees for ten Christmases now.  I made it, along with seven stockings and a couple of matching pillows, the second Christmas of our married life (I was working full time our first Christmas but by our second I was staying at home with our then six month old son and had plenty of time but not much money so I got all crafty). 
When we moved into our house here in West Valley I found that our really really old, faded, maroon carpet looked even older and fadeder when topped by my bright maroon tree skirt (which went with the beige carpet of our duplex great!).   So for years I have thought about making new Christmas stuff, and this year was the year.

But I just couldn't do it.  Even if these things are old and plain, I am in love with them.  They have seen every Christmas present that our children have ever gotten.  The pillows have been hugged while reading Christmas stories. The once nameless stockings have slowly been filled as children entered our family and Mom and Dad lost their individual status when Elinor was born (I only made seven stockings that first year because I never imagined we would have more than five children...in fact I never imagined we would have five).
These sweet Christmas pieces hold so many memories and so much love that I just can't get rid of them.  So, even if they don't match the carpet and they are a little bit tattered, I think we'll just keep them.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...